Arts Explored # 2- Instant Sculpture

“Stay hungry and eat heartily!”
- Laura Schein

On the first day of interpersonal communications class our professor Laura Schein said this quote in regards to learning.  The meaning behind it is regarding a hunger for knowledge.  Those of us who want to learn are hungry to gain more knowledge, and therefore we should “eat heartily” by putting our full attention into gaining this knowledge.  I felt this quote was strong, and really spoke to me, hence it is the inspiration for my 3D instant sculpture.

My sculpture is a composition of textbooks and fruit.  I strongly feel that a combination of the textbooks and fruit embody this quote.  Knowledge (which in the case of this sculpture is in the form of books) is to the brain what food is to ones stomach.  Knowledge fuels our brain, and provides us with the ability to keep going.  Most of us attending post secondary are in some form or another hungry for more knowledge, we obtained what is more or less mandatory, but took it upon ourselves to strive to learn more.  I strongly feel that in the case of myself I am hungry, hungry to continue learning, and at most times try and eat heartily.  In the case of certain subjects that are very interesting for myself my learning does not end when the class is done, I continue to try and get my hands on as much knowledge as possible on the subject.


*Keep in mind these are pictures taken with a Blackberry so the quality is not too great!


Future Implications
In the case of future implications, this quote is important.  As a future educator I strongly believe my interest in learning is very important.  This is also a characteristic I would like to pass on to future students.  I remember the days when school was fun, I learned something new every day, and at the dinner table felt the need to share with my family all the interesting things I learned.  As I got older this love for learning faded, and school became almost a jail sentence.  It was not until late in high school when I had the opportunity to pick and choose my courses that interested me did I become hungry for more knowledge.

Design:
The definition of design according to Schirrmacher and Fox is “The overall mark of success or the standard of achievement in artistic creation” (Schirrmacher & Fox, 2009, p. 364).
            
I feel as though my sculpture captures the concept of design because I had a plan in my head, i was to incorporate textbooks and fruit in a way that showed a balance between the two, without one element over powering the other.  I feel as though this sculpture is an example of my success of combining the two elements.

References
Schirrmacher, R., & Fox, J.E. (2009). Art and creative development for
       young children (6th Ed.). Belmont, CA: Delmar.





  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS