Arts Explored # 7- Grocery Shopping

Arts Explored # 7-
Grocery Shopping

As a poor university student I am always looking for a bargain.  In my case I lucked out and a couple months after moving into my place a Freshco (http://www.freshco.com/default.aspx) grocery store opened up.  For those who don’t know what a Freshco is, it is a cheaper grocery store.  Freshco is owned by the same company as Sobeys, but is far cheaper.  Not only was I delighted that Freshco is cheap, but I worked as a cashier at Sobeys for a year and a half, so I felt a little biased towards shopping at a store owned by the same company.  Freshco is where I do most of my grocery shopping.  On occasion I love to wander the stalls in china town, but Freshco is a thirty second walk from my house so it is very convenient.

Before heading to the store I tried to come up with a category of food.  I didn’t want something very broad like fruit, and I also wanted to look for something I like.  I came up with the idea of looking for foods that have strawberries in them.  At first I thought this would be a difficult task, creating a list of 15 items that have strawberries in them, but as I started to wander the isles I found I had underestimated the amount of products with strawberries in them.  To start off I didn’t consider the fact that there are non-edible strawberry items, so I sorted my list by edible and non-edible.

Edible
·         Strawberries
·         A great variety of juices, for example Arthurs Smoothies (verry Berry flavour), Bolthouse Farms Smoothie (Strawberry banana flavour), Tropicana Juice (Orange, strawberry, banana flavour)
·         Compliments Strawberry Topped Cheesecake
·         Rhubarb Strawberry Pie
·         Pocky (strawberry flavoured)
·         Jell-o no sugar added (strawberry flavour)
·         Dan Active Drinkable Yogurt (strawberry flavour)
·         Astro Bio Best Yogurt (strawberry flavour)
·         Kellogs Special K Red Berry Cereal
·         Quaker Strawberry Vanilla Oatmeal
·         Philadelphia Cream Cheese (strawberry flavour)
·         Compliments Strawberry Jam
·         Nesquik milk mix (strawberry flavour)
·         Poptarts (strawberry flavour)
·         Special K Red Berry Granola Bar
·         Heinz Strawberry Banana Cereal Bars (for babies)
·         Heinz Strawberry Baby Food
·         Motts Fruit Sensations fruit sauces (apple/strawberry flavour)
·         Nestle Flavoured Water (strawberry flavour)
·         Viva Puffs Cookies (strawberry center)
·         Delmonte Frozen Yogurt Popsicles (strawberry flavour)
·         Compliments Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
·         Compliments Strawberry Ice Cream
·         Compliments Frozen Whole Strawberries
Non-Edible
·         Suave Shampoo and Conditioner (Wild Strawberry scent)
·         Lady Speed Stick Antiperspirant (Strawberry Scent)
·         Airwick Scented Oils (Country Berries Scent)

It took little to no time to develop this list just from walking up and down isles.  Had I wanted to explore further I feel as though the list could have been much larger.  If I had looked at children’s snack gummy packages and read the ingredients most of them would have had strawberries as well.

I decided to sketch pictures of a few of my findings;

Strawberry

Strawberry Poptart (AKA the Breakfast of Champions!)

 Strawberry Ice Cream

Future Implications
As a future educator colour can come into play.  In the case of organizing a classroom colour can play a huge role.  Too much colour and a classroom can be over stimulating for children.  The colour of a classroom can also influence children’s moods and behaviours (Shipley, 2008).  According to the textbook Empower Children Play-Based Curriculum for Lifelong Learning “The best approach for an early learning and care centre environment is to balance the pastels and warm colours in the background and the primary colours in the foreground, which attract children’s attention” (Shipley, 2008, p. 101).  By having an understanding of the affects colours have on children’s moods behaviours educators can plan a stimulating environment.


Colour:
The definition of colour according to Schirrmacher and Fox is “The visual sensation of light caused by stimulating the cones of the retina” (Schirrmacher & Fox, 2009, p. 364).

This is a very textbook and science based definition.  Personally I am a huge fan of bright colours.  One reason I love strawberries so much is the fact that they are so bright; nothing looks more appetizing to me than a bright red strawberry with its contrasting green leaves.  While looking at the shelves in the grocery store trying to create my list of strawberry based products I found I was not on the search for the word strawberry, or a picture of a strawberry but rather the colour red.  Each time I saw red on a package I looked to see if there were strawberries in the product.  When my mind thought of strawberries the most standout characteristic of them is their bright colour.



References
Schirrmacher, R., & Fox, J.E. (2009). Art and creative development for
       young children (6th Ed.). Belmont, CA: Delmar.
Shipley, D., (2008). Empowering children: Play-based curriculum for
       lifelong learning 4th Ed). Scarborough, ON: Nelson.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment